Monday, August 9, 2010

Playin Hooky at the Aquarium

This Saturday, we decided to let Jaimo play hooky from work and we went out on the town. First, like any self respecting Texan we went and grabbed a late brunch at Goode Co. BBQ. Ave quite enjoys going out because she LOVES to try new food. We let her try all the meats we got: turkey, brisket, sausage, ham, ribs, and chicken. Her favorite is still the ribs, I think she really likes having a bone to hold on to and gnaw with her new teeth. She also really liked the jalapeno cheese bread and the potato salad. Jaimo and I liked the Boston baked beans and the brisket best.



Once we were fat and happy we headed to the downtown aquarium. Jaimo and I love the aquarium and figured it was time to introduce Ave to the wonderful world of the great blue sea.



We saw a lot of different exhibits and at first Ave didn't really seem interested until we saw the big huge coral reef exhibit. She was immediately mesmerized by all the colors and shapes. It was really funny because once she figured out that the fish moved and were alive she kept trying to grab them. She is a very determined little lady and tried to grab every fish after that.



After we pried Ave off the glass we went to the stingray exhibit. Which made Ave just tickled to pieces because she actually got to splash in the water and touch the animals. She got really into it and wasn't nervous at all. She got to touch the stingrays and some fish that I don't remember it's name. I was more nervous than she was about touching and after seeing my 7 month old dive right in I decided to try it out. I really enjoyed the stingrays they were really smooth and agile and they would swim pass and wave. Pretty neat experience!




Next we got to see my favorite fish ever! The Pirana! I actually didn't think this fish was cool until I saw one for the first time here. What made the Pirana so neat to me is that it was all glittery. The glitter attracts their prey to them and then they attack. They look seemingly innocent until they open their mouths and you see their sharp dagger teeth! Also, if you look closely you can see where they have eaten chunks of each others flesh. They are fascinating animals!



Also included in admission to the aquarium was a few rides and a splash pad. We went on the shark train that took you through a tube of sharks, the ferris wheel, and the carousel. Ave was not that impressed with the sharks she just ate instead of paying attention. But after waiting in the huge line for a quick glance at some sharks we were all pretty hot and so we hit up the splash pad. Ave can't get enough of the water.



I don't know what it is about playing in the water but it always makes us hungry and tired. We had to succumb to the extortionate prices for refreshments at amusements. We got two waters and a pink cotton candy and it cost us $8! It was ridiculous... But I always want cotton candy at places like this. Plus, it gave me an excuse to experiment with Ave's reactions. We gave her just a little bit of cotton candy and she thought it was a whole lot cooler to tear in apart and squish it than eat it. When she did taste it she just acted unimpressed.




Next on our list to do was take the baby girl on her first carousel and ferris wheel rides. My two favorite rides! We carefully selected a beautiful sea horse to ride and let the fun begin. Ave loved the mirrors, lights, and music, she just soaked it all in. As cheesy as it sounds riding the carousel is still magical to me. I love picking out the animal I get to ride and how they are always so beautifully painted. The music makes you feel whimsical and light hearted. It just feels sparkly :)







You know how there are always games and other things that suck you in at places like this? Well we got sucked into face painting, but Ave wasn't having anyone put crap on her face. The lady tried but we only got part way through it and called it quits. I was getting ready to pay the lady and she was like "uh, don't worry about it. . . It's not my best work." HA HA! I was fine with that and because she made Ave cry she gave her a free little shark toy you can see in the pictures. So minus the five dollars to get face painting and three dollars for shark toy at the gift shop!



Our close to the day was a ride on the ferris wheel. The line was short and we were done and Ave was ready for bed. SO we took our last ride to a fabulous day at dusk. It was a really pretty ride, you could see the Houston skyline and it was a nice calming end to our evening.





JUST ANOTHER GREAT DAY IN HOUSTON FOR THE THREE LITTLE MCREYNOLDS! MUAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment